“It is a practical demonstration of the present system of land-grabbing with all its usual outcomes and consequences.”
- Lizzy Magie, the left-wing feminist who patented the board game we now know as Monopoly, but never got the credit.
Today we remember Donald Levine, AB’50, MA’57, PhD’57. An adventurous and open-minded intellectual, Levine made wide-ranging contributions to the field of sociology, alongside his lasting impact on the University as dean of the College from 1982-87. Share your memories of Prof. Levine in the comments. http://bit.ly/1DoBY6u
Donald Nathan Levine (June 16, 1931 – April 4, 2015) was an American sociologist, educator, social theorist and writer. He was a central figure in Ethiopian Studies.
- “Soziologie and Lebensanschauung: Two Approaches to Synthesizing ‘Kant’ and ‘Goethe’ in Simmel’s Work.” 2012. Theory Culture and Society Vol. 29, No. 2: 1–27.
- "Before 'Agency' and 'Emancipation' Became Buzzwords-and After." 2012. Theory, Newsletter of the ISA Research Committee on Sociological Theory.
- "In Memoriam: Shmuel Noah (S. N.) Eisenstadt (1923–2010).” 2011. Theory, Newsletter of the ISA Research Committee on Sociological Theory. June.
- “The Dialogue of Civilizations: An Eisenstadt Legacy.” 2011. Journal of Classical Sociology. Vol. 11, No. 3. August: 313-26.
- "Ethiopia’s nationhood reconsidered." 2011. Análise Social, vol. XLVI, No. 199: 311–327.
- The View of Life, by Georg Simmel. Translation of LEBENSANSCHAUUNG by John Andrews and Donald Levine, With an introduction by Donald Levine and Daniel Silver. 2010. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- "Simmel's Shifting Formulations Regarding the Antinomies of Modern Culture." 2008. Simmel Studies. Vol. 18, No. 2: 239–63.
- "Ethiopia, Japan, and Jamaica: A Century of Globally Linked Modernizations." 2007. International Journal of Ethiopian Studies Vol. 3, No. 1: 18–28.
- "Ethiopia's Missed Opportunities–1960, 1962, 1974, 1991, 1998, 2005–and Now: II." 2007.
- “The Aiki Path to Therapeutic and Creative Intersubjectivity.” May 18, 2007. Lecture at conference on “Living Aikido: Art of Movement, Art of Life,” Aiki Institut, Schweinfurt, Germany.
- Powers of the Mind: The Reinvention of Liberal Learning in America. 2006. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- "Merton's Ambivalence towards Autonomous Theory-and Ours." 2006. Canadian Journal of Sociology Vol. 31 No. 2.
- "Japan, Ethiopia, and Jamaica: A Century of Globally Linked Modernizations." 2006. International Journal of Ethiopian Studies Vol. 2 No. 1.
- "Somatic Elements in Social Conflict." 2006. In Embodying Sociology: Retrospect, Progress and Prospects, ed. Chris Shilling. Oxford: Blackwell.
- "Reconfiguring the Ethiopian Nation in a Global Era," 2005. Journal of Ethiopian Studies.
- "Modernization and its endless discontents." 2005. After Parsons: A Theory of Social Action for the 21st Century, Russell Sage.
- The Continuing Challenge of Weber's Theory of Rational Action, Economy and Society at 2000. 2005. Stanford University Press.
- The Dialogical Turn. Essays in Honors of Donald N. Levine. 2004. ed. C. Camic and Hans Joas. Rowman & Littlefield.
- "Dialogues of the Nations: Revisiting Visions and Its Critics," 2001. The Sociological Quarterly.
- Greater Ethiopia: The Evolution of a Multiethnic Society, revised edition. 2000. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. Amharic translation: Tiliqua Etyopya. 2001. Addis Ababa: Addis Ababa University Press.
- "Ethiopia and Japan in Comparative Civilizational Perspective." 2001. Passages: Journal of Transnational and Transcultural Studies. Spring.
- "On the Critique of 'Utilitarian' Theories of Action: Newly Identified Convergences Among Simmel, Weber, and Parsons." 2000.Theory, Culture and Society.
- "Theory and Practice Revisited: Reflections on the Philosophies of Richard McKeon and Talcott Parsons." 2000. In Pluralism in Theory and Practice: Richard McKeon and American Philosophy. Vanderbilt University Press.
- "The Idea of the University, Take One: On the Genius of This Place." 2000. Paper presented at the Idea of the University Colloquium, University of Chicago, November.
ntu library 臺大圖書館將有的書的foreword 錯寫成forword.
|The flight from ambiguity : essays in social and cultural theory / Donald N. Levine|
|Chicago : University of Chicago Press, c1985|
|Visions of the sociological tradition / Donald N. Levine|
|Chicago : University of Chicago Press, c1995|